Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Pixie Panic Garden - Dev Update #2

Previously on AMC's The Lazy Dev Who Didin't Make A Blog Soon Enough And Now Has To Furiously Post To Catch Up... Dead?

I said that I would go into more detail about the things that I have to do before releasing PPG, so here we go. The bellow list will actually be a reflection of the bullet list I used throughout the development of PPG, which means that with those things out of the way, release is imminent.



  • 1. Make a simple trailer
You know how some games on dlsite have these small trailers showing some gameplay and preview of the art? It gives more information to you as a consumer so that you know what you can expect from the game. I really like that. 

Now in my case I'll make a really small one, like less than a minute small, to not say less than 30 seconds. Just enough to tease some gameplay, different stages and enemies, and some of the animation and CG.

I already have experience with video editing and with how small I want to make it, I'm guessing this won't take more than a day, maybe 2. Now, I'm using the term "day" very loosely here, because all work I do on PPG is whatever I can sneak in on my free time, so yeah. Altough I will say this: if PPG is decently succesful, I will be able to open more time for future projects.

  • 2. Make some sample promo screenshots
Basically I have to finalize which screenshoots I will put on store fronts. Again, mostly in the same style of dlsite, so that means some fancy texts in front of some art, tease some CG's here and there, that kinda stuff. I'm guessing a "day" of work here.

  • 3. Look into publishing platforms
Before making PPG, I had never even coded the barest of crude platformers, let alone properly publish a full game. So I'll have to go figure that out basically. Now, I have a few platforms in mind, but the main 2 are: A) dlsite for the censored japanese version; B) itch.io for the english uncensored version.

From what little I have researched about the topic, releasing on itch.io appears to be relatively effortless, while dlsite, especially the japanese version, seems to require some extra shenanigans to work out. So for this one I have no idea how long it will take. I will only really begin looking into it after I finish the 2 tasks before it. If you have information about this process, or better yet, have experience going through them, I would love you long time if you could share with me some hints and tips about them!

  • 4. Create and mantain a proper blog
Well, this one is done and dealt with as I'm typing this so, yay! Of course, at this point the blog is very much barebones to say the least, so you can expect some changes and additions as I figure things out. There are some menus and sections I want to add, and also some more cute art to decor the place. For now, if you have any feedback about it, feel free to leave a comment.

And that's about it. Tomorrow I'll start working on task 1 and go from there. So I won't say an specific date of release until I start on task 3. With that said, congratulations and thank you for reading this wall of text! Tomorrow I'll post some teaser CG's goodies as appreciation for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment